I Married a U.S. Citizen and Now I Want a Green Card

By |2013-08-22T14:10:16-05:00August 22nd, 2013|Categories: Conditional Permanent Residence Based on Marriage, DHS / Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Family-Based Immigration Law, Green Cards, Immigrant Visas for Spouse / Fiancee / Child Visas, Lawful Permanent Residence in the U.S., United States Embassies Abroad, Visa Lottery and Diversity Visas to the U.S.|Tags: , , , , , , , , |

Published:  August 22, 2013 Marrying a U.S. citizen – it can be the quickest and easiest avenue to a Green Card.  Assuming it involves a bona fide, genuine spousal relationship – including between same sex partners – a green card filing premised on a marriage to a U.S. citizen can be the most straight-forward route toward obtaining U.S. resident status. If the foreign spouse is outside the U.S., their journey to the U.S. usually starts with the filing of an I-130 visa petition, and after approval, immigrant visa processing at their nearest U.S. consular post in their home country.  This same process […]