.. Loading ..

LGBT Matters: Green Cards Available to Foreign Spouses in Same Sex/Gay Marriage

With the Supreme Court’s recent decision invalidating the Defense of Marriage Act, foreign nationals who marry their U.S. citizen or permanent resident same sex partner are now eligible to be considered for green card or resident status in the U.S. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has confirmed as much and announced that immigration filings from same sex couples are now being accepted and processed. Furthermore, in a variety of other immigration contexts, gay spouses can also look forward to eligibility for the same derivative immigration benefits allowed opposite sex spouses, such as in nonimmigrant visa and diversity lottery cases. For further information on the current state of the law and its history in the area of immigration benefits for gay spouses, see Richard’s blog entries:

Related Gay Marriage/Same Sex Immigration Posts:

The U.S. Supreme Court Paves the Way for Green Cards for Same Sex Spouses (July 1, 2013) Gay Marriage and U.S. Immigration (June 1, 2012) Proposal for Immigration Benefits for Gay “Permanent Partners” of U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents (July 14, 2005)