In the Media
- Super Lawyer Magazine has once again chosen Richard Hanus as a Super Lawyer in the field of Immigration Law for 2018 (previously selected in 2007-2008, 2014-2017). Each year Super Lawyers Magazine, a publication of Thomson Reuters, carries out a multi-dimensional evaluation process, combining independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations. The process culminates with only the top 5% of attorneys in their respective fields being recognized and honored for attaining the highest level of professional achievement and peer recognition. For more on Richard Hanus’ 2018 selection as a Super Lawyer click here.
- Richard Hanus featured in NBC Nightly News report (April 15, 2017) and quoted in a Reuters article (February 13, 2017), “Peruvian Woman Can Be Deported from U.S. for Voting Illegally: Court” featuring Hanus’ client and her battle to remain in the U.S. after being lured into registering to vote and voting by DMV officials in Illinois. The story was also featured on Telemundo and NBC 5 Chicago News.
- Richard Hanus is featured in the March, 2016 Chicago Volunteer Legal Services newsletter, for providing successful pro bono counsel on behalf of Client F., a long time U.S. resident who finally achieved her dream of becoming a U.S. citizen after a 9 year legal battle and a recent victory on appeal.
- Richard Hanus quoted in an article by Marwa Eltagouri, “Immigrant Who Wrongly Voted Wins Right To Stay,” featuring Hanus’ client and her final victory after a 7 year legal battle to obtain U.S. resident status (“Green Card”) and fight off deportation, published by the Chicago Tribune (July 5, 2014).
- Richard Hanus quoted in an article by Maria Zamudio “Illegal Voting Case Puts Family’s Future in Limbo”, featuring Hanus’ client and her federal court fight to remain in the U.S., published by Chicago Reporter (February 21, 2014)
- Richard Hanus recognized in Philippines Daily Mirror article by Joseph Lariosa “EOIR Cites Filiipina’s Voting Case as Precedent” as attorney for prevailing party in fight with U.S. Department of Homeland Security and for his role in establishing legal precedent for defense of removal proceedings (October 12, 2013).
- Richard Hanus authored a Wall Street Journal “Cross Country” Op Ed piece entitled, “How This Immigration Lawyer Learned to Love Voter I.D.” Published by the Wall Street Journal on May 4-5, 2013.
- Richard Hanus urges Congress to repeal Immigration and Nationality Act Section 212(a)(9)(B) – November 27, 2010.
- Richard Hanus quoted in article by Shannon Mehner and Brianna McClane “Exploited Immigrants, Unaware of Labor Laws, Afraid to Fight Mistreatment”, published by Medill News Service (May 20, 2010).
- Richard Hanus quoted in article by Lori Bernardino, “Undocumented and unafraid? Opposite is true for some Filipino immigrants.” published by Medill News Service (April 14, 2010).
- Sponsor of National Immigrant Justice Center’s 2008 Midwest Light of Human Rights Award
- Richard Hanus quoted in article and television feature by Nishi Gupta, “Immigrant May Lose Chance at Citizenship” published by WHOI-19 Television, Peoria, IL (December 6, 2007).
- Richard Hanus quoted in article by Antonio Olivo, “Citizenship in Sight, But Then She Voted,” published by Chicago Tribune (December 3, 2007). The story also appeared on GMA News.
- Richard Hanus quoted in “The Politics of Immigration: Questions and Answers”, a book authored by Jane Guskin and David Wilson and published by NYU Press (April 1, 2007)
- Richard Hanus quoted in radio feature “Why Didn’t She Win the Car?”, broadcast on St. Louis’ KMOX 1120 on January 26, 2007.
- Richard Hanus quoted in article and television feature by Courtney Brennan, “The Aftermath of the Immigration Sweep” aired and published by WQAD Television, Quad Cities/Moline, IL (November 16, 2006).
- Richard Hanus was interviewed for an episode of FRONTLINE/WORLD which aired on PBS Click to Play
- Richard Hanus quoted in article by Jennifer Koons, “Reaction: Sanchez-Llamas v. Oregon/Bustillo v. Johnson,” published by Medill News Service (July 6, 2006).
- Richard Hanus quoted in Associated Press article by Alan Scher Zagier, “Mid-Missourians join fight over deportation,” published by Columbia Daily Tribune. (October 2, 2005).
- Richard Hanus quoted in “Foreign Workers: Everything You Need to Know about Employing Foreign Workers”, a book authored by Joyce B. Gentry and Kathleen Kennedy-Luczak and published by CCH Incorporated (2004)
Original insights & analysis of current immigration law issues by R. Hanus, Immigration Law Columnist: Richard’s Blog, 1999 – present